Top tips for home accessories
If you’re anything like me, then nothing quickens the heart-rate faster than the word “ accessories!” Not many of us girlies would say no to a stunning pair of shoes, a fabulous bag or piece of jewellery. It finishes our look and can transform a simple item of clothing into a co-ordinated outfit.
Likewise, accessories for the home – they dress a room and can make it look cool or cosy – either smart and tailored or soft and comfy. Decorative items complete your space, give it character, add vibrancy and can create a sense of cohesiveness.
When choosing, it’s always best to go for something you love to look at – this will bring you pleasure, on a daily basis.
- Remember the eye loves symmetry so go for pairs
- 2 tall slim lamps on either side of a console table are perfect
- 2 ginger jars on each side/or side by side, on a high unit or dressing table add presence
- Choose items from the same tonal scheme to unify the composition
- Accessories can perk up the colour palette or personality of your room
- Be inspired to change objects seasonally – eg bring out spring faux flowers and plants at the start of a new year
- Use multiples – a great trick is to use repeated multiples of smaller items
- Arrange artful displays using different heights and textures in a tight grouping – there’s nothing more forlorn than a lone vase!
- These little vignettes work better with odd numbers of items
- Consider balance, weight and scale – apply height to help the eye travel around the room
- Use trays to group items such as candles or ceramics
TOP TIP OF ALL TIME however, is to get the family members to clear away their clutter and give your lovelies a chance to shine!
Without these little extras, a room has no soul. So go for it, bring beauty and joy to your home and enhance your everyday.